HWg-Ares10 GSM is an effective solution for remote environment monitoring (temperature, humidity) over GSM without an internal battery. Environment monitoring over the mobile network (GSM) can be installed quickly and easily with the Ares; all that is needed is power and GSM coverage.
The two RJ11 ports can be used to connect 3 external 1-Wire or 1-Wire UNI sensors (max. 3 measured quantities in total). HW group offers temperature, light intensity, humidity, voltage, current (4-20mA) and other sensors.
Two digital inputs, IN1 and IN2 (green terminal block), can be used to connect simple status detectors (open/closed contacts). Relays of smoke detectors, open door detectors, water flood detectors etc. can be also connected to these inputs. States of detectors and sensors can be checked with a text message.
Alarm reaction can be as simple as sending an e-mail or a text message (SMS) whenever a contact is closed or a temperature exceeds the specified range. As a unique feature, after sending an alarm SMS (e.g. SMS temperature alert), the device can dial the target phone number and let it ring for a few seconds. Alarm status information can be sent to up to 5 phone numbers and 5 e-mails. More recipients can be reached by alarm escalation in the SensDesk.com portal.
As an important advantage, with Ares 10 GSM alarm thermometer, sensor readings can be plotted in a chart and the device can be configured using the SensDesk online portal (free of charge service provided by the manufacturer). Another option is to display the graphs in HWg-PDMS (free software) which retrieves the values by e-mail.
- Ares 10 is a simple GSM thermometer:
The “HWg-Ares10 Tset” quick start set contains a temperature sensor, a universal power adapter and an external antenna.
- Remote firmware upgrade (FOTA) capability simplifies management of large-scale installations with hundreds of devices.
Ares: GSM remote monitoring
- Sensors: Max 3 sensors (3 measured values)
- Compatible sensors: 1-Wire / 1Wire UNI (RJ11)
- What can be measured: Illumination, temperature, humidity, current 4-20mA, voltage 0-60V, Pt100/1000 temperature probe, water flood at a point (1D) or in an area (2D)
- Digital Outputs (DO): None
- Digital inputs (DI): 2 dry-contact inputs for external detectors
- Pulse counting: S0 pulses can be counted at each DI
- Response to alarm: Dialing a number, SMS (5 destinations), e-mail, HWg-Push
- Configuration: Local – USB interface (Windows software does not need to be installed)
- Remote configuration: Web interface in the SensDesk.com portal – “AresConf” tab
- Logging: Data attached to e-mail or downloadable over USB
- Software: SensDesk.com portal, HWg-PDMS, Nagios plugin, 3rd party solutions
- Mobile app for displaying data: Android and iPhone (via SensDesk.com)
- FOTA: Remote upgrade (Firmware Over The Air) capability simplifies management of large-scale installations with hundreds of devices
- Temperature sensor: Included in the “Tset” start set. The cable can be extended to up to 60 m
- Mechanical: 76 x 93 x 28 mm, wall-mountable, fits on a DIN rail
- Power supply: 9–30 VDC / 0.5 A external power
- Internal battery: none
- GSM/GPRS: Quad-Band 850/900 / 1800/1900 MHz - SMA antenna connector
- Roaming: GPRS is deactivated when GSM roaming is detected
- Diagnostics: External power detection, battery status [%]
- Alarms: Email, HWg-Push, SMS
- SMS + ring upon alert: Supported
- Protocols: SMTP, NTP, HWg Push (http)
- Authentication: STARTTLS (Google SMTP)
- SMS communication: Basic control with status information
- Support for programmers: HWg SDK
- Supported software
Ares: GSM remote monitoring
|Internal battery||Digital inputs
(+ pulse counter)
(1-Wire / UNI )
|Logger||SMS alerts||Email alerts
|HWg-Ares14||As of 2017, the model is discontinued and replaced with Ares12|
First Steps with Ares 12 GSM/GPRS Thermometer
SensDesk: Monitoring the Ares GSM unit via the web portal
- In the Ares unit, configure your SensDesk account username and password.
- Connect to www.sensdesk.com to view the readings from sensors connected to your Ares.
- SensDesk web portal can be used to configure Ares GSM units.
- The SensDesk web portal supports both Ares products (Ares 10 and Ares 12).
- SensDesk web portal can be used to control the relay outputs of the expansion module connected to the Ares unit.
- SensDesk web portal can be used to send an alarm e-mail if the Ares unit or its GSM communication fails.
PDMS: Data collection in MS Windows via E-mail
- The HWg-PDMS software for MS Windows runs on a PC and downloads data from an e-mail account.
- Ares GSM monitoring unit periodically e-mails the data to a dedicated e-mail account.
- PDMS periodically downloads the e-mails and reads the data.
How to connect Ares to PDMS
- 1) E-MAIL:
Through the email interface. Ares sends e-mails to a dedicated mailbox, where PDMS periodically downloads them.
PDMS processes e-mails with attached LOG files as well as alert messages.
- 2) HWg-Push:
HWg-PDMS is installed on a server with a public IP address. Ares periodically sends data from connected sensors over HTTP.